Thinking about suicide? Contacting a suicide hotline in Nigeria can help
Suicidal thoughts can affect anyone. They are more common than you might think, which is why there are 5 suicide hotlines (or helplines and crisis lines) in Nigeria that can offer help to anyone struggling with feeling suicidal. Suicidal thoughts might involve:
- Thinking about killing yourself
- Looking up information about how to kill yourself
- Feeling like you don’t deserve to go on
- Feeling like there is no end in sight to the pain you’re feeling
- Fascination with the concept of death and dying
- Feeling unwanted or like a burden to others
- Feeling like your own health and wellbeing no longer matter
- An unbearable amount of emotional pain that you can’t imagine will ever go away
A suicidal crisis is a normal response to very severe psychological pain that won’t go away. You may be at a point where you’re struggling to find the strength to get through one more day. It may not seem like it, but there is hope. You can heal your pain without ending your life.
You may be concerned that nobody will understand what you’re going through, but helpline volunteers in Nigeria are specially trained to offer support to people in an emotional crisis. There is no right or wrong way to talk about suicidal feelings. Reaching out for help is what counts.
If you feel like you might need support with thoughts of suicide, try reaching out to a hotline in Nigeria. It’s free and confidential.